How Your Massachusetts White Shark License Plate Helps Great Whites

“Hey, thanks for getting your Massachusetts white shark license plates! I appreciate it.”

In case you haven’t heard, the Atlantic White Shark Conservancy has launched pre-orders for Massachusetts great white shark license plates, which are available for only $40 dollars, more than half of which is tax deductible. Of course, if you’re a Massachusetts resident, you could get your white shark plate just to be awesome (and really, who doesn’t want to be awesome?). Or, you could get a license plate because you know the proceeds are going to help the white sharks of your state. Here’s how:

90% of the proceeds of the plates will go to white shark research, and the remaining 10% will go to education. Why such a big split? Researching sharks is really expensive.

Studying great whites in the wild requires money for chartering boats and spotter planes, and purchasing the tags that track the sharks’ movements. The AWSC will be able to support all of these activities with the help of your license plate.

But that doesn’t mean educating the public isn’t just as important. Your license plate will also support lectures (such as this one that happened recently at the Intrepid Museum in New York), scholarships for summer camp programs that teach about the sharks, and the materials needed to make these happen.

Plus, when you drive around with a white shark license plate, you get to show how you’re part of a community that wants to study and protect one of the world’s most fascinating apex predators.

So if you haven’t already, why not sign up for your Massachusetts license plate right now? (And make the residents of the other 49 states very, very jealous.)

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s